Senior Scientist - Mass Spectrometry
Caprion Biosciences Inc. is seeking a highly motivated individual with experience in protein chemistry/mass spectrometry/protein characterization to join a collaborative, proteomics focused scientific environment. Caprion’s leading and proprietary proteomics discovery technologies - ProteoCarta™ - enable the discovery of novel targets for therapeutics development and the identification of novel protein biomarkers that can significantly reduce risk and enhance clinical development productivity and decision making in pharmaceutical research. Caprion is based in Montreal, Canada (www.caprion.com) and is looking to fill a Senior Scientist position as described below:
The focus will be on conducting label-free differential quantification and identification of protein biomarkers using the Thermo QExactive as well as conducting MRM-based assays for marker verification and validation, using the Ab Sciex QTRAP systems. This individual will work independently but closely with proteomics and bioinformatics scientists in a results-driven, collaborative environment. He/she will be responsible for the choice of experimental methodology, carrying out the analyses and providing interpretations and conclusions from the results in a report for each project in a timely fashion. The successful candidate will also advise the scientific team on general biomarker discovery questions, platform design, study design, and data analysis. The Senior Scientist is expected to propose and implement new sample analysis procedures and/or improve existing ones.
- Perform sample preparation for a variety of biological materials.
- Perform mass spectrometry analysis and interpret results to ensure validity of conclusions.
- Hands-on experience in operating a variety of electrospray-based LC/MS systems with a high comfort level.
- Responsible for method development both discovery and quantitative method. Ability to also perform method development and validation of PK assay of biomarker(s) and drug products such as biologics/biosimilars
- Perform in-depth data analysis and interpretation for each experiment
- Provide clear presentation and summary of analysis results and biological interpretation.
- Design and execute experimental testing
- Design and execute troubleshooting experiments
- Propose and implement novel approaches to sample processing and mass spectrometry analysis.
- Train Research Associate to perform new sample preparation or analytical techniques.
- Provide scientific recommendations to improve the quality of results and the platform.
- Monitor data quality and take responsibility for project execution in the laboratory.
- Must be capable of working in a GLP environment
- M.Sc. or Ph.D in life sciences, chemistry or biochemistry (or equivalent).
- A minimum of 2 years of relevant experience.
- Prioritize, organize workload and meet deadlines in a fast-paced, changing environment.
- Capable of supervision for specific projects will be an asset.
- May require working in BSL2 environment.
- Solid understanding of mass spectrometry, molecular biology, protein chemistry.
- The candidate must have excellent oral and written communications skills and be able to prepare project reports and make internal and client presentations.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to work collaboratively as part of a fast paced research team.
- Experience working in industry is a big plus.
Interested candidates should send their résumé by email to firstname.lastname@example.org